OUR PHILOSOPHYWithout caring mentors, positive youth development just doesn’t happen. At The First Tee, we take coaching seriously. We believe that a meaningful, quality relationship between coach and participant is vital to our program.
WHAT OUR TEENS AND ALUMNI SAY:
Young people don’t care what a coach knows until they know a coach cares.
- Become Youth Centered
- Encourage positive relationships with adults and peers
- Focus on developing the Whole Person
- Get to know each individual’s goals in golf and life
- Kids don’t care what you know until they know you care!
- Doing versus Telling
- Engage participants in fun golf related activities
- Teach skills that are used in golf and daily life
- Fun environment that encourages participation and enhances self worth
- Develop a “can do” approach to solving problems
- Learn to overcome challenges
- Become Process-oriented rather than outcome oriented
- Match Intention with Attention to become Task-oriented
- Utilize the Good-Better-How model to provide feedback
- Foster Long Term Solutions rather than short-term remediation of skill deficits
- Receive feedback while searching for Teachable Moments